A breakup is imminent when one or both persons in the relationship start having feelings of hurt, betrayal, or loss of emotional connection. You may be convinced you need to end the relationship, but you just don’t know how to do it. Ending a relationship may feel like one of the most difficult decisions to make. The purpose of this post is to help you recognize this stage of a relationship and give you strategies on how to handle it well.
Being convinced you need a breakup and actually executing the plan is not always a smooth process. The break up process may be dragged by a lot of back and forth within yourself and between the two parties. If you are certain a breakup is necessary and/or desired: Here are some pointers on making your breakup clear and efficient:
1. Be prepared for an awkward and difficult conversation. Out of courtesy and respect for your partner, you should provide a reasonable explanation for coming to this conclusion of a breakup.
2. Brush up on your refusal skills. Your partner may probe and nag you to stay.
a.) Say no, say it firm and with confidence. If it doesn’t work…
b.) Give a reason and focus it on you. I.e. “At this stage of my life I’m looking to get married and I don’t want to force anything on you that you aren’t ready for.” Make it clear! If that doesn’t work…
c.) Walk away! (Don’t put yourself in an situation you can’t get out of.) That brings me to my next point.
3. Do it in a semi private setting where you can meet face to face. Have a private conservation, in a public location like a book store. In case you need to walk away, and things won’t get out of hand like raising voice or talking over each other.
4. Hear him out but without letting him sway your decision. He may need to vent at some point. That usually happens a week or two after the breakup, when things really start to sink in for him.
5. Unfriend him from social media and cease all communication with him for about 6 weeks. People usually say a month, I added two just to be sure. The point is to make it clear to him that your relationship is over. People communicate to start relationships, therefore you must cut communication to end a relationship-only way.
The key point about breaking up is making sure you are certain about it and making it clear to your partner. It’s the best way of making your break up efficient and successful.
Be blessed, spread love,